Monday, May 2, 2016

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Episode 4

Why yes, this is last weeks episode.

Due to scheduling issues we weren't able to watch this episode until Friday and I haven't been able to write the post for this one until now.

We start off the episode with a surprisingly short recap and intro before jumping right in. (By now we've basically said everything there is to say about the intro so I'll be skipping it from here on out unless it turns out to be something more interesting.)



The episode starts with Maya asking Phoenix about his defense. He tells her that everyone turned him down but that he still has an idea. Though, seeing his defiance in the earlier episode as opposed to his in-game self you'd think Grossberg would step in and defend the guy. I guess that didn't happen. Hemorrhoid issues or something...

 That is a very funky looking 3D audience. And guy with the 90's haircut is there three times!
Not to mention the Fonz and his twins. I mean, at least they bothered palette swapping that woman.

The Judge asks both sides if they're prepared and Phoenix declares that he's going to defend himself. This seems to turn Edgeworth on.

Which brings me to a funny quirk of this episode's direction. It really likes close-ups of faces in this one, and I don't know why.




























(And that's me cutting out a number of repeats)
As you can see there's an awful lot of Redd White in there, but that's just because the camera loves him so much. The other guys were desperately trying to out-ham him though.

But let's face it, you can't beat:
PRESIDENTO
NEBAR
YES
UH-HUH
OKAY
READING
WHAT?
LONG HAIRED LADY
DIRECT HIT(?)
MY GOD
PERFECTO
YOU UNDERSTAND?
WHAT'S?
WHAT?
YES!
BAD BOY
REMEMBER, REMEMBER
BEAUTIFUL
YES, I DO
OF COURSE
THE END!
WHAAAAAAAAT?!
WHAT. WHAT. WHAT.
NEEEEEBAAAAAAAR
GOODBYE, FOR-EEEEBAAAAAAR
STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!

Alright, alright. No need to be so dramatic...

So, in short the case basically goes along just like the game did. What can I say? This adaptation just continues to be faithful and I liked the version of cornered we got. I do like how they lampshaded something that I was wondering about myself.




Although the fact that the Judge is that flustered by Maya/Mia's "Aura" is a bit odd considering her age. Then again, I guess she is still legal...

I do have to comment on the fact that they didn't mention anything about this being the first case that Edgeworth lost, despite that kind of being a major plot point in the series. Then again, maybe they didn't mention it until the third case in the game either...

I did also notice in this episode how useless poor Nick was. Maya pointed out the inconsistency about the light stand at first. Mia then pointed out the back of the receipt (which is true to the game) and she then saved his ass at the end as well. Honestly Maya should consider a career as a defense attorney instead.

I liked the fake out there, especially the way Mia's voice transitioned into Maya's.

Anyhow, that was the third episode. Turnabout Samurai is up next and already available, but due to more scheduling problems we might have to make it a two-parter with the second episode of that case. Regardless, I will see you all next time.. whenever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment